Offboarding Resigning Employees
- Receive resignation letter
- Write a resignation acknowledgement letter (sample on page 6) Debrief employee on remaining benefits such as:
- Retirement plans
- Paid time off balances
- Determine where/when last paycheck will be sent
- Notify managers and team members, preferably in person Notify necessary customers if applicable
Transition the Work
- Onboard the replacement or, in the meantime, determine who assumes the resigning employees’ responsibilities
- Have employee write up outstanding job details and duties
- Ongoing tasks
- Current and upcoming projects and deadlines Necessary contact information
Conduct Exit Interview
- Inform employee that exit interview is optional
- Conduct online or in person during last week (sample questions attached)
- Return electronics
- Computer and charger Company phone
- Return office keys
- Return ID card, if necessary
- Remove and/or transfer administrative capabilities
- Company software (Salesforce, HubSpot, WordPress, etc) Company social media pages (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, etc) Google Drive documents
- Remove from company directory
- Remove from organizational charts
- Change account passwords
- Disconnect systems (email, Slack chat, phone lines, etc.)
Resignation Letter Template
This letter is to acknowledge your resignation from COMPANY NAME as JOB TITLE, effective MM/DD/YYYY. We thank you for your timely notice and look forward to discussing any necessary information about your position that will aid the company in your absence.
TEAM MEMBER NAME will be in touch with you about any outstanding information regarding paychecks, accrued vacation, medical and dental, as well as COBRA coverage.
The day of your departure, please meet with NAME to return any office materials, such as laptops, keys, or ID cards.
Before you leave, please also spend the time to take our employee exit interview. Your honest feedback and perspective will help us continue to improve our work environment for future employees.
Thank you for your time and service at COMPANY NAME. We wish you joy and success in all your future endeavors.